Easter in Praque

I recently learned a bit more about what Easter is like in my ancestral homeland of the Czech Republic. It turns out that one of their customs is that, on Easter Monday, young boys and men would run around their village; whipping girls and women with whip made of branches from willow tree. http://www.radio.cz/en/html/easter05.html

The girls, in turn, would present the boys with a painted egg and sometimes serve them alcohol.

Something tells me that if I tried this anywhere in Michigan, it wouldn't be an egg or booze that I was served in response.

Oh, well - every culture has their own unique mating rituals that seem odd to everyone from the outside. I suppose this is no different.

Anyway, I have to say one thing for the Czechs. Their Easter eggs make the ones that I used to make as a kid look very, very sad in comparison. I don't think I could ever bring myself to actually eat anything that looked this cool and ornate. http://www.radio.cz/en/html/fotogalerie_vejce1.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hayley Williams Flashes Twitter

Bikini Hero