For quite sometime now, I've ranted and raved about the blatant stupidity of various politicians. Now, I guess it's time for me to turn my angst on the private sector.

The State of Michigan requires insurance agents like me to earn 30 credit hours of Continuing Education every 2 years in order to keep an insurance license. (Yes, I've always thought 30 hours of CE was a dumb idea -- but that's another post).

My deadline for earning those credit hours was June 1, 2004. I finished earning them on May 15, 2004 through a private company -- eMind.com.

One would think that this was the end of it, right?

Wrong.

I got my certificates in the mail, showing that I earned 30 credit hours. I assumed that this meant that everything was hunky dory and went on about my life. Selling insurance by day. Trying to put together funding for a film and public access TV show by night.

Then I got surprise.

In the mail, shows up a notice from Michigan's Office of Financial & Insurance Services saying that my license had been suspended because I only earned 29 of the required 30 credit hours.

My first thought was that some beaucrat simply did not know how to count. I certificates in my hand that added up to 30 credit hours. Clearly, a simple phone call to the insurance commission would rectify this.

Wrong again.

Turns out that after I completed my course, the good folks at eMind changed the number of credit hours was good for.

And they never bothered to tell me.

Numerous phone calls later, nothing gets resolved.

Finally, I realized that -- hey, it's only 1 credit hour. I'll go back on-line, take another course for 1 or 2 credit hours and that will be the end of it.

I took that course last Friday. This past Monday, the person in charge of eMind's grading and certification department assured me that my credit hours would be posted by the following Friday (as in today) at the latest.

Guess, what?

Those credit hours still aren't posted.

Meanwhile, my paychecks are in limbo. Some of the policies that I've written are cancelled (or more to the point -- assigned to other agents) because it was illegal for me to sold those policies in the first place.

And I'm stuck, not being able to do anything to earn a living.

I try calling eMind several times. Never get anything but voice mail.

So, now I'm stuck going to another CE provider, paying a lot more money -- I'll to get that 1 stupid credit hour that should have been posted to my record more than a month ago.

All of sudden, I find myself wishing desperately for my people who were as smart as most stupid politicians.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hayley Williams Flashes Twitter

Bikini Hero