Enough Is Enough!

The Detroit News ran an article on the front page of today's newspaper about how the City of Detroit has paid $280,000 under Mayor Kwame M. Kilpatrick for upgrades and maintenance for his official residence, the Manoogian Mansion. Personally, I'm getting fed up with these stories.

It's not that I've suddenly become an apologist for the Big Diamond. It's not even that I think it's okay for a cash-strapped city to pay that much to house its chief executive.

The fact of the matter is that if he can raise a couple million dollars for his re-election bid then he should be able raise enough money to cover the cost of upkeep at the Mansion.

The thing that truly annoys me about The Detroit News in general, and this article in particular, is that they're covering subject like this instead much more meaningful ones.

Just last month, some tried repeatedly to run down a pregnant woman in front of my house. When I called to the police, the 9-1-1 dispatcher told me that there were no officers available to respond.

Have there been any articles on DPD staffing levels or response time in any of the media outlets? No.

It's not uncommon for me to see as many as six drug deals happen on my street in one day. When I call to complain, the police say there's nothing they can do. If they shut them down on one street, they argue, then the dealers will simply set-up shop somewhere else.

Have the various media outlets talked about this at all? Of course, not.

Instead, they prefer to keep yapping with repetitive articles about how much money the Big Diamond is wasting. All it does is initiate a nonsensical argument with the Mayor's staff over who wasted more: Kilpatrick or his predecessor, Dennis W. Archer.

The whole affair makes me sick. I truly wish that the news media would cover more important stories; ask important questions like, "Whatever happened to that guy who ran for office with the agenda of 'Kids. Cops. Clean'?"

Comments

Girl in the D said…
I second that, Frank!

Popular posts from this blog

Hayley Williams Flashes Twitter

Bikini Hero