Saks Shoe Department Gets Its Own ZIP Code

There are something that I simply can't believe when their forwarded to me by email. I'm not talking about the ones that claim I'll make oddles of cash by forwarding some stupid email to 10 of my friends. I know enough not to fall for that cyber-garbage.

I'm talking about the news stories that I get. The ones so odd that they make me do a double take.

Saks Fifth Avenue is a perfect example of this. The Associated Press reported recently that the U.S. Postal Service had issued the shoe department at Saks.

A shoe department with its own ZIP code?

Granted, it's an impressive shoe department:
  • 8,500 square foot showroom;
  • VIP room for private shopping;
  • Shoe repair available;
  • Spacious seating; and
  • Refreshments (to prolong the dropping in "shop 'til you drop").
Of course, in hindsight, I shouldn't be too suprised that Saks convinced the post office to issue a ZIP code for its shoe department. It all goes back to what Seth Godin talked about in his book The Purple Cow - to be a success in modern businss, one not only has to produce a remarkable product but to market it in a way that gets people talking about it.

Still, I have an urge to send a letter to 10022-SHOE, which is the new ZIP code for the Saks shoe department, just to see if it gets there.

Comments

darling said…
Think of all the shoes that can fit into 8500 sq feet.

I bet they also have a selection of clothing as far as skirts amd pants and variations of them to see how shoes would look :)
Frank Nemecek said…
I bet you're right.

Popular posts from this blog

Hayley Williams Flashes Twitter

Bikini Hero