"Falling Slowly" at the Oscars

Variety is reporting that the 80th Annual Academy Awards this past Sunday had the lowest ratings ever. It's an absolute shame.

This means that a lot of people not only missed Jon Stewart's top-notch monologue during the show, they also missed Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova performing "Falling Slowly" from their movie Once.



They went on to win an Oscar for their song. However, let's face it, their movie was good enough that they deserved a lot more than just one nomination.

Oh, well. Maybe next time around.

Comments

Liza said…
I think it's "Falling Slowly," right? A really pretty song, and I need to follow your advice to see "Once."

I will say the other songs really did pale in comparison - three from "Enchanted"? As much as I admire the talents of Mssrs. Menken and Scwartz, I think Menken's still a bit lost without Howard Ashman (for those of you who don't know, which I am sure will not include Frank, Ashman and Menken wrote the music and lyrics for "Little Shop of Horrors," and "The Little Mermaid.")

I haven't seen "Enchanted" either, though it obviously has some really big stage stars in it (I saw Kristen Chenoweth, pre-'Wicked,' in "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown"), but I have to imagine that there were plenty of other original movie songs that could have been nominated as well.

Kudos to the producers of the Oscars and Jon Stewart for letting Marketa Irglova return to the stage - her words were really inspiring. And kudos to you, Frank, for suggesting the movie long before the Oscar buzz!

^_^
Frank Nemecek said…
Thanks for the kudos, Liza!

And I'm officially jealous that you got to see Kristen Chenoweth, pre-"Wicked".

Love & laughter,
Frank

Popular posts from this blog

Hayley Williams Flashes Twitter

Bikini Hero