When I first got interested in making movies, I did a little research and learned that most Hollywood productions take two years to go from concept to screen.  When I first read that, I thought, "My God -- two years?  How can it possibly take that long to put together a movie that only lasts an 90 - 120 minutes?"

Now, I understand.

Casting. Financing.  Clearances.  The crew.  Contracts.  Research.

And more financing.

As I've tried to put together my documentary, the first time I've ever been writer, director and producer on a feature length project, I've discovered just how challenging it can all be.  I keep thinking about that old circus act -- the one where a guy has all of these plates that he's trying to keep spinning.  The second he gets one of them set, another one or two of them start to fall.

I'm still doing it.  Absolutely committed that, even if I drop a proverbial plate or two, I'm going to make this film happen -- even if only to prove to myself that I can do it.

However, after a little more than a year of trying to make this all happen, I want to apologize to all of the Hollywood producers.  I'm no longer dumbfounded that it takes two years to make a project a reality. 

Instead, I'm amazed that they managed to do it at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hayley Williams Flashes Twitter

Bikini Hero