St. Valentine's Day

St. Valenine's Day is rapidly approaching.

Yes, that wonderful holiday when the whole world celebrates my grandfather Valentine Nemecek's birthday is a mere 9 days away.

There are, of course, various cynics who think that the holiday has something to do with something other than my grandpa's birthday - but I make it a policy not to listen to cynics. Anyway, with St. Valentine's Day comes gifts and that gets me thinking of some of the cool things that one can for the love of their life.

Amanda Box is an amazing sculptor and one of the best artists working in the Detroit area. She makes these Steel Hearts (seen to the right) that one can order from her web site.

They look so darn cool!

I'm of the opinion that food is a great expression of love. I was thrilled, therefore, to find a couple of fanstastic recipes that are perfect for St. Valentine's Day.

Ice cream sandwiches are a wonderful thing in and of themselves. However, when adds the right amount of booze, they are transformed into Naughty Ice Cream Sandwiches. They definitely didn't have these things when I was a kid (or, if they did, my parents are to be commended for keeping them hidden from me).

The idea is to combine Kahlua-flavored dark chocolate chunk brownies and ice cream spiked with Bailey’s. For the added romantic touch, they can be cut into little heart-shaped treats using a cookie cutter.

I found the recipe over on Pinch My Salt. It all looks so darn good.

Speaking of food that is heart-shaped food, I also love this idea I saw on Cut Out + Keep for heart-shaped eggs. Again, the eggs are cooked inside of a heart-shaped cookie cutter. Add in a Mimosa and you have an amazing way to start out St. Valentine's Day, one that would surely have earned Grandpa Nemecek's stamp of approval.

Another interesting thing is that one can simply substitute a shamrock-shaped cookie cutter for a heart-shaped one and all of these recipes can be used again next month for that other saint's holiday - St. Patrick's Day.

Comments

Sean Carter said…
Valentines Day is round the corner and this is the time when people start preparing for the grand celebrations...and hey you've got some pretty good ideas here...well hey fro some more unique ideas and suggestions for celebrations do drop by my blog sometime and check ou tall that i've posted there!!!
darling said…
good food, good wine and good company in the masses or not.

:) Some feel good surroundings.

Hope you have a great one :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hayley Williams Flashes Twitter

Bikini Hero

Pan Am - One of the Best New Shows on TV