Happy Sweetest Day

I've always regarded Sweetest Day is an artificial holiday of no particular significance.  After all, the occasion was started in 1922 by a group of candy manufacturers in Cleveland as part of an effort to sell more candy.  The idea of a holiday tied so closely to commerce simply seemed wrong to me.  As a result, whenever I was dating someone, I always cringed a bit when this holiday rolled around.

Of course, this changed the other day. I learned that my parents got engaged 42 years ago today.

Suddenly, Sweetest Day doesn't seem so artificial to me.

The fact that Sweetest Day started as a thinly veiled commercial undertaking is now tempered, at least in my mind, by the knowledge that there is something significant behind it - even if it's only significant to my parents and to every other couple with a Sweetest Day story behind them.

With that in mind, I'd simply like to say, "Happy Sweetest Day everyone!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hayley Williams Flashes Twitter

Bikini Hero

Partying with the Polo Girls