Opening Day 2007

Yesterday was the day.

The day that every fan of the Detroit Tigers spend all winter dreaming of.

Opening Day.

A new day. A new season. A new chance at glory.

I know the game itself didn't go exactly the way I would've wanted it to. The Tigers got off to a rocky start in the first inning. But they battled back from a 3 run deficit and forced the Toronto Blue Jays into extra innings.

And then they fell apart once again in the tenth inning.

I was a little disappointed, I'll admit it. I think everyone in this town was. But there are still 161 more games left in the season. I take solice in the fact that the Tigers lost their home opener last you as well - and they went all the way to the World Series.

I wasn't one of the lucky ones who had a ticket to the game. I ended up watching it at Cliff Bell's with Nicole for the first few innings before meeting everyone on Dan's roof top deck in Harmonie Park.

I have to say it was interesting watching the end of the game and the post-game action from the roof of a 4-story building near Comerica Park. It's amazing - and amazingly weird - just how many guys will decide to urinate in the parking lots surrounding the ball park.

It was kind of fun, though, to taunt the offending urinators. A couple of people even took pictures of the guys as they were relieving themselves. (I didn't have a camera with me so I wasn't one of them.)

Anyway, the season has officially started. I never who have imagined a year ago that last year's season would have ended with the Tigers playing in the World Series.

And two days ago - I never would have guess that this season would have started with me watching drunk guys pee in a parking lot.

Oh, and kudos go out to Grady's Kitchen. He posted these two photos on his Flickr page so I can show everyone at least some of the cool things that happened yesterday.

Comments

darling said…
Hmm they dont give out P-mates for big events?

Or is that only for women? Im not sure anymore.
Frank Nemecek said…
Okay - before your comment (and a subsequent Google search) I had never heard of P-mates. Now, I can't get the concept out of my head for some reason.

Oh, and yes - I'm pretty sure they are only for women.

Love & laughter,
Frank

Popular posts from this blog

Hayley Williams Flashes Twitter

Bikini Hero