Weird Weekend

This past weekend was simply one of those weekends. It started good, got even better and then ended on a very sad note.

Friday evening started at the grand opening of a new store that my friends Francis and Claire opened in Midtown, the Bureau of Urban Living. They had champagne and desserts to welcome their first shoppers. I picked up this really cool invisible bookshelf (when installed, it looks like my books are just floating) and some greeting cards.

I told Francis and Claire before their store opened that I wanted to be the first person to make a purchase. Unfortunately, I didn't get their in time. I was tempted to be their first shoplifter, but I decided not to. The fact of the matter is that Claire could kick my ass if she was properly motivated and I didn't want to risk it.

Liza: They're only a few blocks south of your office. You really should stop by some time.

After the Bureau, I was off to work at the Detroit Music Awards when I filmed interviews with some of the nominees and winners. Jesse Palter was amazing. Trick-Trick rocked the house with an impressive show. Bob Seger was, well, he was Bob Seger; magnificent as always.

On top of that Kim Paris was the perfect publicist, giving us a steady stream of people to interview throughout the evening.

Saturday was spent recovering from Friday night before heading out for drinks with some friends.

I thought Sunday was simply going to be a calm day to recover from Friday and Saturday. I was coming back from having lunch at Boston Market when I got a text message from my friend, Jeanette. She had an extra ticket to the Tigers game and wanted to know if I wanted to join her, her brother and a bunch of other folks. I said yes and headed downtown.

It was a perfect day for a ball game. The Tigers started off quickly with a three run lead in the first inning. The White Sox managed to whitle away at that lead and then take the lead.

In the 9th inning, the score was 5-3 White Sox. The Tigers were at bat, but with 2 outs and no one on base. I looked to my left and saw some of the "fans" starting to file out of the park.

They missed out on one best comebacks in baseball. It started out with Carlos Guillen singling to center, which brought Marcus Thames to the plate.

The count was 1-1 when Marcus Thames connected for a home run to tie the game and force the game into extra innings.

When the Tigers finally won it in the 12th inning, I was estastic. It was one of those moments when I basically thought that life just didn't get much better.

I was still bouncing with joy when I got home - and learned that my Uncle Chuck was in the hospital.

He's 81 years old. He was feeling weak after working in the yard so he went in the house. My Aunt Carmelina came in later to check on him and found him bleeding profusly from his rectum. They live in a rural area (the booming metropolis of Rapid City, Michigan) so he was taken by MedEvac to the nearest hospital.

The doctors say that he lost 16 pints of blood (the average adult only has anywhere from 14 - 18 pints in their body). Still not sure exactly what caused the bleeding at this time. My guess is that the doctors probably know, but my aunt isn't any condition to properly relay information.

Life is great. And then is just plain sucks.

Comments

Liza said…
Hi Frank -

Thanks for the shopping tip - I'll be sure to check that out.

Sorry to hear about your Uncle. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Big hugs, Liza
darling said…
silly cycles of good things happening and bad things happening.

I hope things turn out well.

..thats a neat shelf.

Popular posts from this blog

Hayley Williams Flashes Twitter

Bikini Hero