Weekend Recap

This past weekend was the kind of weekend that I really needed after a hellish work week.

The coolness began on Thursday actually, when I skipped out on Detroit Synergy's Third Thursday event at Pewabic Pottery so I could head to the Gem Theatre for the 2008 Preservation Awards. I was lucky enough to accept an award on behalf of the Friends of the Book-Cadillac Hotel. The FoBC was honored for their work in historic preservation advocacy through education.

The whole thing was just a tad bit ironic because a) I skipped out of an event at Pewabic Pottery to go to the awards banquet and b) the award that I accepted included a custom piece of Pewabic Pottery.


Yes, there was irony in the air that evening.

As an added bonus, the food at this banquet was simply top notch - and there was an open bar. I lost track of how many gin and tonics I had that evening. All I know is that when it came time to give an acceptance speech, the sober people told me that I managed to do a decent job with it.

Of course, when the event was over, I decided that I still didn't have enough alcohol in my system. And so I went on a quest for another round.

I poked my head into Hard Rock, only to discover that the place was packed. Katrina the Kick Ass Bartender was serving and this really good band was playing. (If I was a tad bit more sober then I might have remembered their name, but I don't.)

I eventually ended up at the Woodbridge Pub - where I spent the rest of the evening talking to a bunch of people from the awards banquet that I was at earlier. (Somewhere there was a band playing, "It's A Small World After All".)

Friday, of course, was the tree lighting in Campus Martius Park. Before the tree lighting, though, there was eating, drinking and general merriment at a friend's apartment in the Kales Building.

And then the tree was lit.

And then there was even more eating, drinking and general merriment throughout downtown Detroit. We started a Roast - which is inside the Westin Book Cadillac and is rapidly becoming my favorite restaurant.

From there, everyone migrated to Cliff Bell's where some woman that I've never met before suddenly started crying for reasons that I still don't understand. (Other people that knew her better comforted her and soon she seemed alright - so I didn't worry too much.)

I briefly popped over to Park Bar, but then quickly went back to Cliff Bell's where the band was wailing and crowd was happening.

And that was my Friday.

Saturday was Carly's birthday party at Bookie's. The place was packed. I felt like a sardine, but I got to hang with some folks that I haven't seen in months so all was good.

A part of me wanted to spend Sunday on the coach, but I got tickets to a fundraiser for the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy. This was another event with really good food and beverages. (I swear, historic preservationists always find the best food and booze on any budget.)

Plus, it was in the Buhl Mansion in Indian Village. This is an amazing home. I wish I could afford to live there.

Chuck Brodsky
performed a concert in the living room of this home, which was almost as big as my house. I had never heard of him, and frankly rolled my eyes when I herd that he's a folk singer, but he was really, really good. He played a lot of songs with a baseball theme to them so that fit with the evening.

The only real downer to the whole evening came when someone tried setting me up with a woman who was literally old enough to be my mother. She was divorced with a daughter my age and everything.

A shudder went down my spine at that thought.

Luckily, I was able to extract myself from that situation rather quickly.

Anyway, suffice it to say, this was a really great weekend. Now if only I didn't have to deal with the work week again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hayley Williams Flashes Twitter

Bikini Hero