Annexing Canada

The Bush administration commissioned the folks at Disney to produce a seven minute video to promote the U.S. as a travel destination, according to a report from the Associated Press. I love the concept of doing this. Tourism is a great industry and it should be promoted.

There's just one problem.

One of the destinations that Disney included in this video is the Horseshoe Falls, which is in Canada. There are two other waterfalls that make up Niagara Falls and are on the U.S. side of the Niagara River. However, they weren't included at all in this video.

Yes, the Walt Disney Company and the U.S. Department of State has essentially annexed a portion of Canada.

I can't say I really blame them. There are several parts of Canada that I won't mind having in the U.S. (Most notably, whatever part Darling is currently occupying.) However, according to news reports, the Canadian government is just a tiny bit upset over this.

Besides, things didn't go very well for the Bush Administration the last time it tried to grab territory arbitrarily. Grabbing a portion of Canada, no matter how beautiful it is, simply cannot go well for the U.S.

I believe the lesson that can be learned from this experience is that the Bush Administration shouldn't have hired Disney to create this promotional video. They should have hired my production company.

I have never confused the U.S. with Canada, even though I live in a city that has had Toronto stand-in for it in numerous Hollywood movies.

I also wouldn't have used so much stock footage in the video. Just take a look at this promotional video that I did for Detroit, in advance of Super Bowl XL. There's not a single frame of stock footage in it.



Oh, and I wouldn't have had the only people who actually speak during the video be the ones standing in front of that brick wall. It gives the sense that the only Americans who are friendly are the ones who have their backs to a wall. I think it would have been much better to weave in a series of people saying, "Welcome!" throughout the entire video and to have it be at each of the different landmarks.

But that's just me. I'm just a guy who knows the difference between what is in the U.S. and what isn't.

Comments

darling said…
Hi Frank!

Its always a treat to be mentioned in your blog :)

Its interesting that they left it out. Im sure they have their reasons. I dont know what they are. In time maybe?

Things come around whether you want them to or not. So It will be a wait and see how things play out in the long run.

I agree that your production company should have handled it :)
Frank Nemecek said…
And it's always a treat to get a comment or post from you, Darling.

Love & laughter,
Frank

Popular posts from this blog

Hayley Williams Flashes Twitter

Bikini Hero